Yoga Program in Ottawa, ON
Soldier On will be partnering with Yoga and Wellness with Natalia to host a six-weekly sessions of yoga program taking place from May 23 until June 27 June from 9:30 - 10:30 a.m. in Ottawa ON. This activity will bring together both serving and retired ill/injured CAF members, allowing participants to connect through peer support and encourage a healthy and active lifestyle.
Up to 12 ill/injured serving or retired members of the Canadian Armed Forces will receive certified yoga instruction and practice a variety of yogic movements throughout the sessions. This program will assist in the continuation of a healthy lifestyle.
This yoga series has been designed specifically to help ill/injured serving members and veterans. These yoga sessions will consist of three aspects of yogic practice: movement, yogic breathing and mindfulness/meditation.
Benefits of the yoga series:
- Learn to practise focused attention;
- Strengthen your brain’s plasticity;
- Build mental and emotional resilience;
- Maintain a healthy and balanced life;
- Regulate the body’s stress response; and
- Brings participants back to the present by reconnecting mind to body.
Each session will include one hour of instructor lead movements by the Service Provider. Participants should arrive 10 minutes prior to the start of class.
Classes will be held at Inner Soul Yoga.
All skills levels and abilities are welcome as the program will run at a pace comfortable for beginners but offer adaptations and/or challenges for those who would like them.
Assistance throughout the event will be provided courtesy of Natalia Flynn, Find Balance Within
The number of Soldier On participants is limited to 12.
Minimum eligibility criteria
Any serving member or veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) from the National Capital Region who acquired a permanent physical or mental health illness or injury while enrolled as a member of the CAF; whether attributable or not to service.
Due to the fact that the event is in the NCR Geographical area, travel assistance will not be provided.
Medical clearance may be required by your chain of command.
Mental & Physical Requirements
- Participants must be able to tolerate one hour of light paced activity per session.
- Participants are advised that they should bring their own yoga mat, towel, blocks, straps if they own these items.
- If participants do not own these items, the instructor will have some equipment on hand.
- Participants will be joined with other ill/injured members and civilians, and therefore should be able to function in a social environment.