Virtual Cooking Lessons in Edmonton, AB
Soldier On will be partnering with Palates to host virtual cooking lessons. These sessions will take place once a week on Mondays for three sessions on November 15-29. This activity will bring together both serving and retired ill/injured CAF members, allowing participants to connect through peer support and encourage a creative lifestyle.
The aim of this activity will be to be introduced by a variety of meals that will range from single course to three course meals depending on the theme of the session.
10 ill/injured serving or retired members of the Canadian Armed Forces will receive introductory cooking lessons to assist in the continuation of a healthy lifestyle. The group of 10 will receive cooking kits that will include ingredients, seasoning, and recipe cards to prepare a delectable meal to feed for four people in the comfort of their own home. These kits will be packaged following guide lines provided by Alberta Health Services.
Members who live within 40 minutes of the Palates Studio (5546 Calgary Trail NW) can expect to receive home delivery of the cooking kits between 2 and 4 p.m. the day before cooking classes (Sunday).
*Applicants who live more than 40 minutes from the Palates Studio (5546 Calgary Trail NW) will not have access to door-to-door delivery. The cooking kits will need to be picked up from St. Albert between 2 and 4 p.m. the days before cooking classes (Sunday). The address will be provided to selected participants
Gluten-free and vegetarian options are available. Unfortunately, vegan options are not available due to the complexity of the menu items. Allergies can be accommodated.
- Participants will be given the opportunity to learn the art of cooking through instruction and hands on experience via ZOOM.
- You will do this by learning a variety of cooking in your own kitchen.
- Participants will need a computer and web camera or a cellphone for the lessons.
- Participants will also need access to basic cooking appliances/utensils such as a stove/oven non-stick frying pans, spatula and potentially a blender (depending on the menu).
Assistance throughout the lessons will be provided courtesy of Palates Culinary Kitchen and Learning Center
The number of Soldier On participants is limited to 10.
Minimum eligibility criteria
Any serving member or veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) in the Edmonton geographical area who acquired a permanent physical or mental health illness or injury while enrolled as a member of the CAF; whether attributable or not to service.
Mental & Physical Requirements
- Participants must be able to tolerate two to tree hours of standing or sitting for each virtual lesson.
- Participants will be joined with other ill/injured members and civilians, and therefore should be able to function in a social environment.