Ski Day in Comox, BC
Soldier On will be hosting a Ski Day in Comox, BC on the 26th of January in collaboration with Vancouver Island Society for Adaptive Snow Sports (VISAS) and Mount Washington Alpine Resort. This event will focus on alpine ski instruction and safety. All participants will participate in VISAS group ski lessons, and have the opportunity for fun, educational, and enjoyable ski time in the afternoon with their instructors.
This local event is open to registered Soldier On members who live within 90-120 minutes of Mount Washington Alpine Resort.
This activity will bring together both serving and retired ill/injured CAF members, allowing participants to connect through peer support and encourage a healthy and active lifestyle.
This event is beginner-friendly and no previous ski experience is needed. Adaptive equipment is available, and VISAS will provide expert instruction for all participants.
This event will focus on time on the mountain where participants will learn and improve their skiing abilities throughout the day. This event will include group ski lessons, lunch provided by Mt Washington Alpine Resort, and guided ski time with more opportunity for informal instruction.
Participants should note that they are expected to stay with their designated Soldier On group for the duration of the event.
Rental equipment is available if needed, although participants can bring their own gear.
Assistance throughout the event will be provided courtesy of Mt Washington Alpine Resort
and Vancouver Island Society for Adaptive Snowsports
The number of Soldier On participants is limited to 10.
Minimum eligibility criteria
Any serving member or veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) who live up to 120 minutes’ drive of Mt Washington, in the Comox Valley, BC who acquired a permanent physical or mental health illness or injury while enrolled as a member of the CAF; whether attributable or not to service.
Medical clearance may be required by your chain of command.
Mental & Physical Requirements
- Participants must be able to tolerate seven to eight hours of moderate to high paced activities for one day.
- Due to the busy activity schedule, applicants must have a limited requirement for rest throughout the day.
- Participants will be joined with other ill/injured members and civilians, and therefore should be able to function in a social environment.
- Participants are advised that this event will be held mostly outdoors, and weather conditions can change quickly in alpine environments.
- Participants are expected to dress accordingly for the weather conditions.
- Participants are advised that this is a local event and they are responsible for their own travel to/from the event. No travel support is provided.
Be advised that a proof of vaccination or vaccine passport will be required at the event.