Aqua Yoga in Victoria, BC
Soldier On will be hosting two Aqua Yoga sessions with Sonia Grey of Water and Earth Yoga. Join us on January 19th and 21st from 10 - 11 a.m. These gentle aquatic classes are open to all levels of experience. No previous swimming experience is necessary, but participants should be comfortable in aquatic environments. This event is open to any Soldier On members within a 75-minute drive of Victoria, BC.
This activity will bring together up to 10 serving and retired ill/injured CAF members, allowing participants to connect through peer support and encourage a healthy and active lifestyle.
This activity is open to all levels of fitness and aquatic ability and is taught from a beginner-friendly, inclusive, and accessible perspective. The instructor will follow a gentle, trauma-informed restorative yoga class using water to help with reducing the stress on joints and muscles and increase relaxation. Modifications to all poses will be offered as necessary.
The activity will include:
- Two 60-minute sessions of aquatic yoga instruction; and
- Access to the Naden Gym swimming pool and all necessary equipment.
Assistance throughout the event will be provided courtesy of Sonia Grey, Water and Earth Yoga
The number of Soldier On participants is limited to 10.
Minimum eligibility criteria
Any serving member or veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) who live within 75 minutes of Victoria, BC who acquired a permanent physical or mental health illness or injury while enrolled as a member of the CAF; whether attributable or not to service.
Medical clearance may be required by your chain of command.
Mental & Physical Requirements
- Participants must be able to tolerate one hour of light-paced activities per week for two weeks in a row without being in violation of their MELS.
- Participants should be advised that they must be comfortable in aquatic environments / entering an indoor swimming pool.
- Participants will be joined with other ill/injured members and civilians, and therefore should be able to function in a social environment.
- Participants are advised that activities for this event will be located at Canadian Armed Forces bases/facilities, and thus they may be exposed to a day-to-day military environment.
- Participants are advised that participants are responsible for their own transport to and from this event as it is for members local to the Victoria region.
Be advised that a proof of vaccination or vaccine passport will be required at the event.