Allied Winter Sports Camp in Whistler, BC
Soldier On will be hosting the annual Allied Winter Sports Camp in Whistler, BC from the 8th to 17th February. Building on the resounding success of previous years, the intent of this event is for participants from the United States of America and Canada to come together and participate in the Nordic sports such as sledge hockey, alpine skiing/snowboarding, cross-country skiing and bobsledding, as well as zip lining. This activity is for both CAF serving and veteran physical and/or mental health ill/injured members to use sport as part of their recovery, rehabilitation, and reintegration.
Ill/injured members will be introduced to Nordic sports of sledge hockey, alpine ski/snowboard, bobsled and cross-country skiing as well as zip lining. Days will be comprised up to eight hours of moderate to high paced activities; assistance throughout the event will be provided in partnership with the Whistler Adaptive Sports Program
The number of Soldier On participants is up to 20.
Minimum eligibility criteria
Any serving member or veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) from across Canada who acquired a permanent physical or mental health illness or injury while enrolled as a member of the CAF; whether attributable or not to service.
Mental & Physical Requirements
- Participants must be able to tolerate up to eight hours of moderate to high-paced activities for eight days in a row.
- Activities will require various level of exertion and range of motion. Adaptive sport equipment is available for all activities.
- Due to the busy activity schedule, applicants must have a limited requirement for rest throughout the day.
- A medical authorization will be required for all selected participants.
- Participants will be joined with other ill/injured members and civilians, and therefore should be able to function in a social environment.
- Participants also acknowledge that there will be no alcohol allowed in the accommodations, and will be required to share accommodations.
Proof of vaccination or vaccine passport will be required at this event and for air travel.