Archery Camp in Vancouver, BC
Soldier On will be hosting a single-day archery camp in collaboration with Lykopis Archery. This event will take place on the 18th of November from 11:50 a.m. to 4 p.m.. and is open to any registered Soldier On members within 60 minutes of Vancouver, BC.
Travel support is not provided as this is a local event.
This activity will bring together both serving and retired ill/injured CAF members, allowing participants to connect through peer support and encourage a healthy and active lifestyle.
The purpose of this activity is to provide an opportunity for Soldier On members in the Vancouver region to practice archery and to learn about arrow-crafting techniques. This event is open to all level of experience and is beginner-friendly. Participants will be introduced to archery skills, safety, and discuss the applications of archery, as well as necessary equipment.
Lykopis Archery will introduce participants to archery in a friendly, fun environment. Participants will also have the opportunity to fletch three of their own arrows to use during the shooting sessions. Participants will have the chance to ‘sling some shafts’ during archery games and fun targets. Students will also have the opportunity to interact with, shoot and learn the techniques of various bows from the history of archery.
All equipment and assistance throughout the event will be provided courtesy of Lykopis Archery
The number of Soldier On participants is limited to 10.
Minimum eligibility criteria
Any serving member or veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) from within 60 minutes drive of Vancouver, BC who acquired a permanent physical or mental health illness or injury while enrolled as a member of the CAF; whether attributable or not to service.
Medical clearance may be required by your chain of command.
Mental & Physical Requirements
- Participants must be able to tolerate four hours of light paced activities that require moderate upper-body mobility while shooting and performing archery tasks.
- Participants will be joined with other ill/injured members and civilians, and therefore should be able to function in a social environment.
- Participants acknowledge that there will not be travel or meal support for this event, as it is for Soldier On members local to the Vancouver regions.
Nomination Forms must be signed by member and received by Soldier On no later than the 27th of October, 2021.
Express your interest here
Soldier On events are planned in accordance with municipal, provincial, territorial and federal public health measures (PHM) and regulations as well as the Canadian Armed Forces health policy and guidelines. The health and safety of Soldier On participants and staff, PSP staff, and CAF TG personnel are paramount. While specific safety precautions for each event will depend on the scope, scale and location of the event, the utmost care will be undertaken to ensure the risk associated with the spread of COVID-19 is very low.
Specific precautions, rules, regulations and observances will be communicated to selected participants for this specific camp in due course, but all applicants must be prepared to:
- Be familiar with, and adhere to current PHM regulations and guidance;
- Complete the respective provincial / territorial or federal government COVID-19 self-assessment tool before attending the event;
- Refrain from participating in a Soldier On event if they have tested positive for COVID-19, have come in contact with someone that has tested positive for COVID-19 and/or are experiencing symptoms of the virus;
- Practice physical distancing during activity, including the use of non-medical mask when appropriate;
- Follow all safety precautions provided by Soldier On and its sport service providers;
- Adhere to a stringent use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and perform rigorous hand hygiene;
- Inform Soldier On immediately if you are not feeling well.
Soldier On, during the conduct of this activity, shall:
- Ensure that the event is conducted following the current PHM regulations and guidelines of the location in question;
- Ensure that all staff and participants are using PPE properly and following necessary protocols;
- Soldier On will cease the event if participants do not respect any of the health and safety protocols that are in place;
- Ensure PPE, hand sanitizer and disinfectant supplies are available and are being used;
- Continue to monitor the further provincial lifting of or changes in restrictions which may affect their operations;
- Track physical interactions (time/date/attendees/location) on physical activity log.
Due to recent new provincial health measures against COVID-19, be advised that a proof of vaccination or vaccine passport will be required at the event.
The event OPI will confirm in writing with the participants selected for this activity. A joining instruction will be issued prior to event; ensuring applicants are authorized to participate IAW applicable policies & eligibility criteria.