Woodworking Workshop in Quebec, QC
Soldier On will host a woodworking workshop for six sessions in collaboration with école Artebois from October 25th to November 29th. This activity will bring together both serving and retired ill/injured CAF members, allowing participants to connect through peer support and encourage a healthy and creative lifestyle. These
woodworking lessons will contribute as a tool to wellness and recovery for the participants.
Participants will engage in a series of six lessons of three hours each. A qualified woodworking instructor will assist the participant with woodworking and tools technics trough the lessons. Participants must understand that this course has six lessons over six weeks and has for objective the fabrication of a little table.
Material and tools, and assistance throughout the event, will be provided courtesy of école Artebois
The number of Soldier On participants is limited to height (8).
Minimum eligibility criteria
Any serving member or veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) from Quebec City geographical area (South and North shore) who acquired a permanent physical or mental health illness or injury while enrolled as a member of the CAF; whether attributable or not to service.
Medical clearance may be required by your chain of command but is not required by Soldier On.
Mental & Physical Requirements
- Participants must be able to tolerate three hours of low rate physical activity for six sessions with a high level of concentration for a tool’s manipulation.
- Participants will be joined with other ill/injured members and civilians, and therefore should be able to function in a social environment.
Soldier On events are planned in accordance with municipal, provincial, territorial and federal public health measures (PHM) and regulations as well as the Canadian Armed Forces health policy and guidelines. The health and safety of Soldier On participants and staff, PSP staff, and CAF TG personnel are paramount. While specific safety precautions for each event will depend on the scope, scale and location of the event, the utmost care will be undertaken to ensure the risk associated with the spread of COVID-19 is very low.
Specific precautions, rules, regulations and observances will be communicated to selected participants for this specific camp in due course, but all applicants must be prepared to:
- Be familiar with, and adhere to current PHM regulations and guidance;
- Complete the respective provincial / territorial or federal government COVID-19 self-assessment tool before attending the event;
- Refrain from participating in a Soldier On event if they have tested positive for COVID-19, have come in contact with someone that has tested positive for COVID-19 and/or are experiencing symptoms of the virus;
- Practice physical distancing during activity, including the use of non-medical mask when appropriate;
- Follow all safety precautions provided by Soldier On and its sport service providers;
- Adhere to a stringent use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and perform rigorous hand hygiene;
- Inform Soldier On immediately if you are not feeling well.
Soldier On, during the conduct of this activity, shall:
- Ensure that the event is conducted following the current PHM regulations and guidelines of the location in question;
- Ensure that all staff and participants are using PPE properly and following necessary protocols;
- Soldier On will cease the event if participants do not respect any of the health and safety protocols that are in place;
- Ensure PPE, hand sanitizer and disinfectant supplies are available and are being used;
- Continue to monitor the further provincial lifting of or changes in restrictions which may affect their operations;
- Track physical interactions (time/date/attendees/location) on physical activity log.
Proof of vaccination or a vaccination passport will not be required to participate in the event but Soldier On strongly encourages all members to be or get vaccinated.
The event OPI will confirm in writing with the participants selected for this activity. A joining instruction will be issued prior to event; ensuring applicants are authorized to participate IAW applicable policies & eligibility criteria.