Ice Fishing on the Lake in Rivers, MB
Soldier On, in collaboration with Brandon Wildlife Association, Troy Anderson and Tricia Harpe, will host an introduction to Ice Fishing on the lake near Brandon, MB. This event will be conducted on February 11-12 at 1 - 6 p.m. on Rivers Lake. This activity will bring together both serving and retired ill/injured CAF members, allowing participants to connect through peer support and encourage a healthy and active lifestyle.
The event will provide an opportunity for Soldier On participants to learn or improve their ice fishing skills.
This is open only to registered Soldier On serving or retired members in the Shilo/Brandon geographical area.
Participants will be provided with all required ice fishing equipment and will have an opportunity to fish inside an ice fishing shelter and on the open ice. There is no cost and assistance is provided in registration and filling out the waiver if requested.
Costs related to travel assistance and meals will not be reimbursed for this event.
Instruction and mentoring will be provided by Brandon Wildlife Association and Troy Anderson, an experienced angler. Fishing shacks are being provided by Evan Wolski from Brandon Wildlife Association and Troy Anderson and Tricia Harpe.
Assistance throughout the event will be provided courtesy of Brandon Wildlife Association
and Troy Anderson from Brandon, MB.
The number of Soldier On participants is limited to eight (8), with four (4) participants each day.
Minimum eligibility criteria
Any serving member or veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) from the Shilo/Brandon geographical area who acquired a permanent physical or mental health illness or injury while enrolled as a member of the CAF; whether attributable or not to service.
Medical clearance may be required by your chain of command.
Mental & Physical Requirements
- The activities will be carried out in accordance with your Medical Employment Limitations (MELs) and may be adapted according to your needs.
- Participants must be able to tolerate six (6) hours of lightly paced activities throughout the day (sitting and standing).
- Participants are advised that this event will be held outdoors, and weather conditions can change quickly.
- Participants are expected to dress accordingly for the weather conditions.
- Participants will be joined with other ill/injured members and civilians, and therefore should be able to function in a social environment.
- Participants also acknowledge that there will be no alcohol allowed.
- Should there be unfavourable weather conditions for participants and instructors travel, Soldier On will endeavour to reschedule sessions.
Nomination Forms must be received by Soldier On no later than February 4, 2022.
Be advised that a proof of vaccination or vaccine passport will be required at the event.
*Please note that changes to the event may be necessary should local PHM measures change.