Warrior Games 2019 and Invictus Games 2020
Nominations are open for applicants wishing to represent Team Canada at the 2019 Warrior Games and the 2020 Invictus Games! We are accepting applications until 31 December 2018.
Team Canada will be led and managed by Soldier On. The intent of Team Canada's participation at these Games is to inspire ill and injured members and Veterans to adapt and overcome by using sport as an integral component in their recovery. Thus, the selection of competitors for Team Canada is not driven by high performance experience and/or results.
These two prestigious international competitions serve as thrilling adaptive sports events for ill & injured serving and veteran service personnel. Both the Warrior Games and the Invictus Games aim to inspire recovery, support rehabilitation, and generate a wider understanding and respect for those who serve.
The U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM) will host the 2019 Department of Defense (DoD) Warrior Games June 21-30 in Tampa, Florida, USA. Athletes from the US, UK, Australia, Canada, Denmark, and the Netherlands will compete in a variety of sports including, archery, cycling, shooting, sitting volleyball, swimming, track and field, wheelchair basketball, indoor rowing, powerlifting, and time trial cycling. Participants will need to be prepared to attend one training camp in April and attend the Warrior Games from 16-30 June 2019. More information on the DoD Warrior Games can be found at https://dodwarriorgames.com/.
The 2020 Invictus Games will feature competitors from 19 nations competing in 9 different sports with events being held across the city of The Hague, The Netherlands in May 2020. Participants will need to be prepared to attend two training camps and the Games in 2020. Additional information on the Invictus Games The Hague 2020 can be found at https://www.invictusgames2020.nl/ .
Eligibility is open to any serving member or veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) from across Canada who acquired a permanent physical or mental health illness or injury while enrolled as a member of the CAF; whether attributable or not to service. Serving members require authorization from their chain of command to attend. All applicants must obtain medical clearance from authorized medical personnel.
The following principles will be applied during the selection board:
- Fairness and impartiality, every candidate will be given equal opportunity and their candidature will be reviewed and evaluated based on its own merit and in accordance with the selection criteria.
- The Team will have an appropriate representation from the various demographics reflective of the Canadian Armed Forces and Veteran community.
- It is not about high performance and the main criteria is identifying those who could benefit significantly from this experience as part of their ongoing recovery from illness/injury.
- Repeat participants can apply, but please note Soldier On’s intent to spread these unique opportunities to as many ill/injured members as possible.
Interested participants can apply for either the Warrior Games 2019 or Invictus Games 2020, or both. All applicants will be contacted once team selections have been made:
- Warrior Games 2019 Selection : Jan/Feb 2019
- Invictus Games 2020 Selection : Apr/May 2019 (or when team quotas are confirmed)
Further questions about Team Canada for the Warrior Games 2019 and the Invictus Games 2020 can be directed to CMP.JeuxInvictusGames@forces.gc.ca
If these events are not for you, but you are still looking to adapt an active lifestyle, please visit www.soldieron.ca.